Saturday 4 April 2015

Salvator Rosa Trip - Day 4

Day 4 - 4/4/2015 - Salvator Rosa

Again we woke to a beautiful morning, but as the day progressed so did the build up of the clouds.  Light cloud at first but as the day went on the cloud got lower, heavier and darker.  

The day was spent doing pretty much the same as the day before, the only difference being I was having to chase the sun with the solar panels more due to the cloud.  It was a really bad solar day and if we had had two of these days in a row, we would have been getting to near critical levels with the batteries.

There wasn’t any actual rain but it felt like it could start at any minute.  One group of campers packed up and headed off after lunch.  I suspect not wanting to risk getting stuck if it did rain and the access track becoming impassable.  We were due to leave the following day so we were also keeping a close eye on the weather.  Due to the remoteness we couldn’t even receive any AM radio stations to try and listen to a weather report.  We had a chat with some of the other campers and they were also keeping an eye on the weather but were staying put for the time being.  As they were more “local” than us, (from Augathella and Sapphire), we thought that we would just go with the local knowledge.  If they looked like they were going to make a move, we probably would have as well.  We also had plenty of water and food and we knew we could send a message out via the satellite phone if we did have to stay for a few extra days to wait for the track to dry out.

That afternoon and night we did get a few sprinkles of rain but not as much as on the first night.

No comments:

Post a Comment